Horror games are very popular on all platforms, including PCs. In this sense, there are dozens of good titles for those who like to get scared from time to time, whether in a solo campaign or in multiplayer mode . So you don't waste time looking for the best of its kind, we've made our Top 10. Check it out!
10. Dead by DaylightDead by Daylight is a solely multiplayer experience , which is by no means a negative point. Although the game has no solo campaign or follows a clear narrative line, it provides an electrifying dynamics and gameplay . You take control of a killer or a victim in an arena, being forced either to kill or to survive to win. If you want to play as a killer, choose one from a list of good options. Some are inspired by horror movies such as Freddy Krueger, Ghostface and Leatherface. The most fun is that each serial killer has unique skills and unique ways to attack victims. Victims are a bit more generic, as their function is to "just" survive. To accomplish this feat, victims need to repair generators in order to open the exit gate. Not an easy mission, which requires partnership from all online players who are designated as survivors. This is one of the best PC horror games, especially if you want a multiplayer experience . The weather is constantly tense, providing great moments of fright and adrenaline during the matches. You must play this game if:
- Want to control or face iconic movie killers
- Enjoy horror games entirely online
9. Resident Evil 7: BiohazardForget the Umbrella Corporation: Your enemy in Resident Evil 7 is a little more sinister than that. It all starts with a letter from his wife, Mia, who is reportedly missing for three years. Her call for help brings player Ethan Winters to the Baker family grounds, an inhospitable, dark place that will give him a big headache until the end of the game. Overall, Biohazard's gameplay is very similar to previous franchise titles. You have at your disposal utensils and firearms to confront the sick Bakers. In addition to the family, there is a kind of bacteria in human form that walks through the mansion where 99% of the game is played . This game, however, encourages the use of stealth rather than action. Also because the focus of Resident Evil is to cause psychological terror, fright and horror in who is playing. The setting is fantastic in this sense, both for the soundtrack and the visual elements. Biohazard is a great title for those who love riddles, suspense and constant feeling of fast heart. It is very worthwhile to give the Resident Evil franchise a new perspective . And if you like a good horror narrative, this game is what you want! You must play this game if:
- Prefer horror games focused on exploration rather than action
- Are you prepared to take many scares all the time
8. OutlastOutlast is that classic investigative horror movie set in a madhouse but in playable version. In the shoes of journalist Miles Upshur, the player investigates psychiatric hospital after being triggered by a source. Once inside, he discovers that there is something sinister going on in the building. The mission is to find out what exactly it is and also try to get out of there alive. Miles cannot attack his enemies. At most what you can do is push them sometimes. Their advantage is that they can climb higher places that hospice patients cannot reach. It can still crawl and hide indoors. The hospital is completely dark, so Upshur uses his camera's night vision to see the way. Outlast is one of the best horror survival games for PC. Not being able to attack opponents is distressing. Just having to run away from patients and the supernatural entity known as Walrider all the time is a soul-freezing strain. In addition, the plot is powerful and leads to a surprising and worthy ending to the greatest horror movies in cinema. You must play this game if:
- Enjoy fully survival games
- Want to start your steps in the Outlast franchise
7. Left 4 Dead 2Although Left 4 Dead 2 is from previous generations of games, it is still one of the best PC horror games when it comes to cooperation. In the traditional game mode it brings together four players on one side, representing the survivors. On the other side are the Infected, who will try to prevent the survivors from reaching their destination. In Versus mode those who take on the Infected are also real players. There is also a single player campaign where the remaining survivors are controlled by artificial intelligence. The most entertaining point of the game, however, is precisely the cooperative part, which makes the task of surviving much more dynamic and exciting.
- Want more action than exploration
- Enjoy cooperative campaigns
6. Alien: IsolationAlien: Isolation can be said to be part of the blockbuster movie series, at least in terms of plot. The player controls Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, character of Sigourney Reaver in the movies. The goal is to investigate Ellen's disappearance into space. In this quest to understand what goes on inside the Sevastopol space station, Amanda must survive a Xenomorph creature. In addition to the alien, there are uncontrolled and human cyborgs that must be faced. The problem with this is that Xenomorph is immortal. Incidentally, it is not even possible to attack the creature. That is: Alien: Isolation is a completely survival game . For the most part all you will do is hide and go your way without attracting the alien's attention. Nevertheless, the game offers the option of using weapons and tools, and may even create them. Effectively, however, they only work against robots and human enemies. Other accessories are available, such as a tracker for Xenomorfo and the station's computer system. You must play this game if:
- Are you a fan of Alien franchise movies
- Prefer games with stealthier gameplay
5. Friday the 13th: The GameEspecially designed for Jason Voorhees' wallet fans, Friday the 13th: The Game is a very fun game for those who enjoy a multiplayer horror . There are eight players per match, seven likely victims and one controlling the fearsome Jason. The mission here is clear from both parties: survive and kill respectively.
- Always wanted to control or confront Jason Voorhees
- Enjoy asymmetric multiplayer games
4. Amnesia: The Dark DescentAmnesia: The Dark Descent is a more psychological and conceptual horror game. Won two awards as an independent game , mainly for its gameplay proposal. The player controls Daniel, who wakes up in a dark castle without remembering why he is there. The only thing he knows is that there are some creatures following him. While touring the castle trying to figure out how to get there, the player must solve various puzzles and puzzles to proceed. The game is completely stealth based, without any offensive action. There is even a bar indicating your stealth level . Another interesting point of Amnesia is the fact that Daniel needs to be kept sane. The protagonist's sanity can be broken for a number of reasons: staying in a dark place, looking at monsters, and witnessing scary events are some of them. When sanity is affected, Daniel has auditory and visual hallucinations, which attracts enemies. The terror here lies therefore in managing Daniel and acting quickly and intelligently. You must play this game if:
- Want a gameplay of focused horror game in puzzles
- Enjoy games focused on decision-making agility
3. The Evil Within 2Whoever played the franchise's first title knows well what to expect from The Evil Within 2 : scares, action, and that stealthy, exploratory footprint that puts even more strain on an already tense game. Again the player controls Sebastian Castellanos, now looking for his lost daughter. For this, Sebastian goes to the simulated world of Union, where the girl is being used as a test subject for an experiment. Once there, he discovers that Union has become a nightmare, with demonic creatures attacking its residents. All missions lead the player to the resolution of the game . They are held in a partially open world, with very little recourse and with many enemies as obstacles. It is always possible to face them, either with weapons or with body attacks. The ideal, however, is to opt for sneaky moves that will keep you from being noticed. Trying to evade traps and monsters that constantly appear across the screen, The Evil Within 2 is a "modern" version of Silent Hill . There are many implicit references to Konami's franchise in this game. You must play this game if:
- Want to continue the storyline of the franchise's first title
- Interested in a survival horror with references to Silent Hill
2. The Resident Evil 3: NemesisThe Resident Evil 3 is in the hall of the best horror games in history. Much of this because the biggest villain in the game is none other than Nemesis. The most feared zombie in the entire franchise is responsible for causing some minor heart attacks in the player during gameplay . In this third edition, you control Jill Valentine as she tries to escape Racoon City. You'll have to face a series of zombies, solve puzzles and roam the city looking for a way out. Halfway, always without warning, you will be surprised by Nemesis, who uses a rocket launcher as a weapon. Some encounters with Nemesis are required. Others occur according to the choices made by the player during the game. By the way, a very innovative point of The Resident Evil 3 is the final depend on the choices made while playing. According to the performance, it is also possible to win alternative clothes and special weapons at the end. The Resident Evil 3 also features a minigame, in which the player chooses one of three Umbrella Corporation's Countermeasure Service officers. You must play this game if:
- Do you like zombie games
- Want to play one of the best titles in The Resident Evil franchise
1. Silent Hill 2Obviously Silent Hill 2 is the big name on this list. Although the franchise's first title was a great success, it is its sequel that consolidates the series as one of the best in the horror genre. Taking command of James Sunderland. He goes to Silent Hill after receiving a letter from his late wife, Mary. For most of the gameplay , all the player does is wander around Silent Hill. It is possible, by the way, to avoid a lot of enemies if you know how to walk in the right places. In these journeys, you should find keys that will open doors, bars, and other access to previously locked places. The realization of puzzles and fights against the enemies do not depend on the level of play. There are puzzles and there are easier opponents, just as there are more difficult ones. It's all a matter of choice and luck. We must not forget, however, that Pyramid Heads are unavoidable, and those are the hardest working. In addition to the dark setting, the fog, the characteristic alarm and the bizarre enemies, Silent Hill 2 also scares the narrative. As with all franchise titles, this edition has more than one possible ending. There are six, to be exact. Three can be activated the first time the game is over. The others only from the second time. You must play this game if:
- Never played one of the most iconic horror games ever
- Are you a fan of the Silent Hill franchise?