Don't Starve Togheter is definitely not an easy game for beginners. The game has no tutorial and leaves you alone to discover all the secrets of the characters, items, monsters, etc. With that in mind, here are 7 essential tips to get you started. Don't Starve Togheter the right way. At the end of the article you will have all the main information to avoid falling into the classic mistakes of the game and, hopefully, surviving a few weeks. Check out!
1. Know the advantages and disadvantages of the charactersDon't Starve Togheter has a number of controllable character options, each with its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. Knowing the character of your choice in depth is essential to survive, mainly because many mechanics are not explained by the game in any way. Check out our complete guide to Don't Starve characters and choose the one that suits you best.
2. Use the first few days to explore (and define your base wisely)The Don't Starve map is generated completely randomly every time a new game is started. Therefore, memorizing the location of things and thinking that you have learned something is not an option. Precisely for this reason, at the beginning of every game you must use the first days of the game exclusively to explore the map. Walk as much as possible (even at night) until you find the main biomes needed to farm the resources and then set up your base at an intermediate point between them. Generally, the best place to build a base is as close as possible to the following biomes:
- Rocky Terrain
Beefaloos are your alliesAfter discovering the location of the main biomes, establish a base at an intermediate point between them, but also give preference to being close to the beefalo. Beef stalks are neutral mobs very useful for making manure, meat and wool. They also serve to defend you from dog attacks (hounds). To do this, all you have to do is attract the enemies close to the beefalo and they will go into combat. Attention: beefaloes become hostile when they are in the mating season.
Be sure to farm while exploringAlthough the main objective of the first days is exploration, be sure to farm essential materials along the way. You don't have to waste time in the same place making many similar materials. Collect just what you need to spend the night, craft basic tools and eat.
3. Divide tasks and farm in bulkThere is no need for players to always stay together in Don't Starve Togheter. The main advantage of the game is precisely the possibility of dividing the tasks and farming optimally. While one player is mining, for example, another kills mobs or cuts down trees. Another important information about the farm: gather MANY items equal. Never seek only what you need right away. To make it easier, create goals for each off-base expedition, each to farm a different item. If you are already in the forest, for example, why pick up a few logs?
4. Learn to recover SanitySanity is the most complicated attribute for players new to Don't Starve. While Health and Hunger are very intuitive, Health is affected in many unpredictable ways that can hinder survival. The list of actions that decrease Sanity is very long. Eating raw food, fighting, staying up all night and catching rain are the most basic examples. So, check out the main ways to recover the attribute:
- Sleeping (Tent, Straw Roll, Wool Roll)
- Pick flowers
- Cooked green and blue mushrooms
- Cooked Cactus Meat
- Build prototypes on any craft machine in the game (Science Machine, Alchemy Engine, etc.). Only the first of each new craft recovers Sanity.
5. Get ready for winter (seriously)If you are a novice player in Don't Starve, you are probably just concerned with surviving each day. However, you should know right now that, with each passing day, the most difficult mode of the game is approaching: winter. The main characteristics of winter are:
- The cold does damage.
- The nights are longer (more time wasting Sanity).
- Many sources of food become scarce (the harvest is interrupted and the animals barely appear).
- A giant monster called Deerclop appears.
- Walk with torches. Although they hardly generate heat, you can use them to set things on fire in emergency situations.
- Crafte a Thermal Stone (this is mandatory)
- Hunt the Coalefante. When defeated the creature drops a lot of meat, among other items.
- Create a Meat Effigy as soon as possible to ensure an extra life.
- Hunt birds to collect their feathers. They are used in the craft of various items indicated for the winter.